Sunday, February 7, 2010

Show and Tell











In our last class Professor Roe discussed portrait photography in order to get us ready for our next project. She showed us one portrait, captured by Mary Ellen Mark, of a young girl dressed in black who was hugging herself in an insecure manner. There was something about this image that stayed with me, so I looked up Mary Ellen Mark on my own time and quickly fell in love with her work. This image to my right is one that I found to be particularly moving. I wanted to share it with the class. Enjoy!

Quotes:
"Photographs are footprints of our minds, mirrors of our lives, reflections from our hearts, frozen memories that we can hold in silent stillness in our hands -- forever if we wish. They document not only where we have been, but also point the way to where we might perhaps be going, whether we know it yet or not..." ~ Judy Weiser


A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into. ~Ansel Adams

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found Mark's work engaging and decided to look it up - that's a really good practice to get into.

    Great quotes, too (I'm also a fan of a good quote!)

    ReplyDelete