Wednesday, March 17, 2010

There's No Place Like Home


Though at first glance this may seen like a very simple composition, I chose this photo for a variety of reasons. I liked the quality of light coming into the room though the window; it washes over the rest of the elements creating a dreamlike quality. I also like the fact that except for the newspaper on the couch, there is no other indication of human presence. And after a prolonged inspection of the photo you notice that atop the paper there is a pair of round, vintage spectacles, another personal touch that infuses life into the shot in a subtle way. This project deals with the concept of home, so ultimately (formal elements aside) I chose this photo because it reminds me of a typical weekend morning at my uncle's house. This photo reminds me of my tio and his penchant for reading the paper in the wee hours of the morning. On the particular day this was taken, I had woke up and, judging by the silence of the house, figured that everyone was still asleep, but once I carefully made my way downstairs I found him sitting there ready to greet me with his big smile and cheerful disposition.
Coming from a Latin American family, breakfast is considered one of the most important meals of the day; a time when everyone comes together to enjoy food and conversation. These fritters, known as bunuelos (the round ones) and pandebonos connect me of my Colombian heritage. I think that food tells you a lot about people through individual preferences and food is also a source of unity because every culture has their own food and tradition. This is yet another shot were human presense is implied. The vantage point makes you feel as if someone is there despite the fact that no one is present in the frame itself.
Contrary to popular belief, the child in the picture is real. That little girl is my sister and she is the first thing that I think of when I think of home. She is always the first one at the door to greet me when I come home. This photo is very peculiar, yet visually pleasing, because you can't tell where it was taken. The pillows might provide a vague hint, but otherwise it is very mysterious. To shed some light, this was taken in Kirkland's which is a store my parents go to quite often (it wouldn't be a trip back home without going there at least 2 times). My favorite part of this photo is the wall of pillows in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment