Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Discussion - "The Photographer's Eye" by John Szarkowski


Not that I want to play favorites, but I really enjoyed this book even more so than Shore's "The Nature of Photography" discussed in an earlier post. I felt like the photos in Szarkowski's publication connected with me on an emotional level, whereas Shore's compilation of works are in large part a tribute to style.

This image to my left was taken from "The Photographer's Eye". It was captured by Richard Avedon in 1958 for Harper's Bazaar; the subject of the photo is Ezra Pound. Before I discuss what it is about this photo that so compelled me to choose it for my discussion rather than any of the other more elaborate shots, I would like to provide a concise history on just who this man was.

"American poet and critic, often called "the poet's poet" because his profound influence on 20th century writing in English. Pound believed that poetry is the highest of arts. A rebel par excellence, he challenged many of the common views of his time and spent 12 years in an American mental hospital" (http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/epound.htm).

This portrait is beautiful in its simplicity. Avedon’s white backdrop and the extreme frontality of the subject creates an intimate connection between subject and photographer if only for that brief moment. What impressed me the most were the details, down to the finest wrinkle and last gray hair, which epitomize the very character of this man. The expression that he wears on his face tells a story of his life's struggles, yet there still remains something humble in his countenance. Though people have tried for centuries to unlock the secrets to a longer life, this photograph has made this man immortal.

No comments:

Post a Comment