Monday, January 18, 2010

First Impressions

The first thing that comes to mind when one sees a four hour long class on their schedule for an upcoming semester is something along the lines of " *Explicit*, What did I get myself into." In my situation, I was "lucky" enough to score two such classes for Spring of '10. The class descriptions were interesting enough, Green Art and Photography as Language, so I figured that the coursework would come easily if the interests were there.
Last Wednesday was my first day of "PhotoLang"; equipped with a PowerBar and notepad I preceded into the small, sterile room that was to be our classroom. Surprisingly enough, four hours passed by faster than I had anticipated. We were constantly being engaged and I listened keenly as Professor Roe conducted an exercise that challenged us to read into a few selected photographs and Professor Queen taught us about the mysterious and life altering illness known as Aphasia.
See, I’m one of those individuals that get a kick out of challenging my own preconceptions. I feel like my life experiences have helped me prepare for working with individuals with a language handicap. However, all kinds of questions float around in my head: “How will they react to me?” or “Will I be able to accomplish anything with my work this semester?” I am wrapped up in anticipation. I guess I’ll see with time what this semester has in store, but the forecast looks good.
More from me later…

No comments:

Post a Comment