Thursday, April 8, 2010

Reflection- Narrative

My client J did not come in this past Wednesday, so for class I was paired with another group to work with their client, JG. When it was my turn to present her with my narrative, I laid all three images in front of her and waited for some sort of reaction. I sat in anticipation, hoping that she would like my work, until finally she said "This is you?". She then proceeded to tell me that she didn't think it was me in the black-and-white photos because the baby seat was much too old fashioned. I was very impressed by her eye for detail. However, I did inform her afterward that it was, in fact, me in the photos; the antiquated furniture was from Russia where I grew up. The story (or narrative) that I was trying to convey with my photos was personal moments of significance in my life. By pairing text and visual stimuli I was hoping to create a deeper meaning behind each photo. Some of my classmates pointed out the possibility of the events being in chronological order due to the way that I organized them when I presented them to the class. This was not my intention, but I could see where they were getting this from and I thought that it was interesting to note how much of an impact sequencing has on the perception of an image. JG did not instantly pick up on this suggestion, however she did very well to connect the various elements within each individual image when she was formulating her interpretations. She was most drawn to the photo with the image of a young man in juxtaposition to a plane ticket. She pointed out that it was probably my cousin and we went on a trip to Mexico. She also mentioned that these items were probably very important to me. Which was the main point that I was trying to deliver. Through these images I was hoping to let the viewers see another side of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment